Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Greatest Generation

One of my favorite books of all time was The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw. It was one of those books that is completely outside of my normal book reading- nonfiction (especially historical nonfiction) is usually not my thing. If you haven't read it, it's absolutely worth it. It is a collection of brief stories about 50 members of the Greatest Generation- those born between 1910 and the mid-1920s, some famous, some not so famous. It talks about their struggles with the Depression, World War I, post war living. It talks about their work ethic, commitment to their families, lives with less material things.

This week we lost one of my favorite members of the Greatest Generation. He represented all that was great and we will miss him dearly.

PS. For those who read this on facebook, I think the links only work on the actual blog (ljej.blogspot.com)

No comments: