Saturday, May 23, 2009

Inspired but lazy...

Inspired by one of my favorite blogs, Wild Suburbia, I went outside this AM to take some pictures of our vegetable and native perennial gardens. As per the usual, I was having some issues getting all the pictures over and I was just too lazy to do it manually so you can see them all here.
Our vegetable garden, as usual, is dominated by tomatoes. I think there are 24 plants. Brandywine, Supersweet 1005, caruso, yellow perfection, sungold, pole perfect purple, red grape, mountain delight, mountain princess, sweet Chelsea, margharita, garden peach, green zebra, Cherokee purple, Caspian pink, Matt's Wild Cherry. I can't wait. I got them at Russell's and the Southside Community Land Trust's plant sale. I think we'll have a tomato taste testing party. Anybody in??
We also have green beans and peas which haven't had the most successful germination rate but those that we have plants for look quite healthy. We planted onion sets and potatoes for the first time this year and they're looking pretty good. The usual cucumbers and bush zucchini which are going to go in to our community garden plot. A garden huckleberry plant and ground cherry plants too. Some pepper plants- sweet red bell, hot (Thai dragon), and Italian sweet. The asparagus patch is thriving in its 2nd year- we didn't harvest at all but are looking forward to next year. The rhubarb that we planted about a month ago seems to be doing well as well. Jim's cold frames of carrots, beets, lettuce, Swiss chard are looking great. We've even eaten some lettuce already and are ready for more harvesting.
The perennial garden is looking great. We started doing this in Rhode Island. Low maintenance year to year and minimal need for water and pest control since they're all native to our area. Most of the plants are a few years in and are really thickening up and looking great.
Here's to a spring, summer, and fall full of flowers and food!
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Barbara E said...

Your garden looks wonderful. The lettuce is great. It has gotten too hot to grow leaf lettuce here, though romaine is still doing okay. If I get to your house in late June, I hope there will be something good to nibble on. And finally, I love your dicentra (bleeding heart). I miss the east coast bleeding heart. I have a white one but it is not nearly as showy as yours. Keep up the good work!