Sunday, October 5, 2008

For anybody that needs proof...

From Wedding pictures


The wedding weekend was WONDERFUL!! Ellen was a beautiful bride and David was a handsome groom. The smiles on both of their faces were unforgettable! Unfortunately, the smile pictures are still being developed but honestly I think this was the only time I didn't see them with an ear to ear grin the entire weekend (they were being serious for their vows).

I continue to apologize profusely and perseverate about the matron of honor toast and not saying everything or anything that I wanted to say. Somehow, I completely lost my brain this weekend. Almost losing and/or losing my wallet, keys, and multiple other things multiple other times including my speech notes twice.

Let me summarize the real speech-
1) I wanted Krista (the photographer) to take pictures of everyone except for me... like the Oscars when they photograph everyone else responding to what could or might or will be said. Since I'm sure everyone was anxiously awaiting what embarrassing stories I was going to bring up about our childhood and how obnoxiously mean I was to my sister on a regular basis while growing up.
2) I wanted to thank all of David and Ellen's family and friends who had come from near and far to celebrate such an important day and how much that meant to be and how much I knew that meant to them.
3) After all of the ribbing that Ellen got for her wedding binder... it was a wonderful weekend with so many amazing details including the shawls that all the bridesmaids and Emma are wearing that my mom and Ellen made. And that I hope that it was everything that she and David had wanted it to be.
4) How while writing the speech I couldn't remember anything of what Ellen said at my wedding. And that I figured out that it really wasn't important what she said or what I said. What was the most important was that I know that she has been and will always there for me and how I will do exactly the same.
5) How I knew from day one that David was the one for her and then every day forward confirming it. From talking to Ellen on the phone about him after meeting him, to talking on the phone with David, to talking to Ellen about deferring NYU to move to Mississippi for some guy, to meeting him at the same time as all of the rest of our family and that he fit in right away (making fun of all of the right people in all of the right way), to visiting them in Mississippi, to watching David play with the kids, to seeing the engagement ring pre-engagement, and on and on and on.
6) How I had such an amazing time getting to know their friends this weekend. It is still hard to think of Ellen as a grownup and a professional since she is my "baby" sister but I really enjoyed getting to know this other side of her through others' eyes. You can really judge a person through the people that hang out with them and I was completely in awe of the friend base that they both have accumulated over the years.
7) Most importantly, I wanted to toast to a lifetime of happiness and love. To a lifetime of being there for each other through thick and thin. And to looking forward to a lifetime filled with wonderful memories. And to looking forward to Mom now bugging Ellen about making her a grandmother again instead of me.
TO DAVID AND ELLEN!!!
So there it is... maybe I can stop obsessing and get some sleep tonight.

No comments: