Sunday, October 26, 2008

What's up doc??


At last count, I think I have over 2000 people that call me their doctor. When you add in their family members that accompany them to the office or their hospital stays, that's a lot of faces and names to remember and, to be quite honest, I often don't remember them. Sometimes, I walk in to the room and people don't even look familiar to me. So, one of my biggest fears is to be face to face to someone out in public and not to remember that they're a patient or what their name is.

Well, yesterday I was at a farm festival in Weston with Emma and a young couple with their kid was walking towards me. The dad looked at me and smiled and said, "Hey, what's up doc?". I looked at him and smiled and gave him the "Oh, hey are you doing?" as I walked by. After a few steps and trying to think why none of the members of this family looked familiar to me and what in the world my patients were doing all the way up in Weston, it came to me... I was carrying two bunches of carrots and he was just trying to make a joke. Good thing I didn't ask him how his asthma was doing.

No comments: