Friday, November 7, 2008

She's won the role of Queen of Nascar...

I heard this quote this morning on the way in to work talking about Sarah Palin. What seems to be flying under the radar these days, is that she might actually become a US Senator in the upcoming months. Don't get me wrong... the woman deserves a little respect- she just went through a grueling campaign, travelling all across the country, where she was getting made fun of on every level on a national stage for 10 straight weeks. But here's the thing. When I go to pick a doctor, I don't want them to be like me or dress like me or talk like me, I want them to be smarter medically than me and make the right decisions about my healthcare. Same with a lawyer- I want them to be able to represent me better, write a will without loopholes- I don't care what hobbies they have or what gender they are. So, with an elected official, I want them to know more about civics then I do, be able to name some Supreme Court cases, a few newspapers, maybe the countries in North America. Now, I'm not sure what percentage of senators can't do these things (probably higher than I would like to know) but you would be darn sure (just like if I went on Amazing Race, I would start running 10 miles a day and know how to say drive faster in 50 different languages), if I ever run for nationwide office, I would at least open up my kid's civics and geography books and learn a little something before Katie Couric interviews me. I think if I were a Republican or an Alaskan, I would be offended that the Republic party couldn't find a better candidate that was "like me".
Sorry, just had to get this off my chest before the day began.

No comments: